Class 5 SST Chapter 10 Important Notes from Communication chapter of New Getting Ahead with Social Studies.
What is communication?
Exchange of any information is called communication.
The process of exchanging ideas, opinions, facts, values, etc. from one person to another or one organization to another is called communication.
Sender, message and receiver are the part of communication.
Importance of communication
Information is an integral part of our lives. We are dependent upon the exchange of information. All living thing communicate with each other.
So communication is very important for us because –
- It helps us to express our ideas and feelings.
- It helps us to understand emotion and thoughts of the others.
- It helps us to spread knowledge and information with others.
Types of communication
Class 5 SST Chapter 11 Important Notes
- Verbal Communication
- Listening to the words and understanding the meaning.
- Examples – talking on face to face, over telephone, on video calls etc.
- Non-verbal Communication
- Observing someone and deducing the meaning.
- Examples – Deducing the facial expressions, posture, eye contact, hand movements, and touch etc.
- Written Communication
- Writing or reading the words containing meaningful information.
- Examples – Letters, emails, text messages, WhatsApp messages etc.
- Visual Communication
- Watching the visuals and understanding the meaning.
- Examples – Social media pictures, videos, television etc.
Communication with individuals
- Can be sent through post office, courier services etc.
- Telephones (Long Distance Talking)
- Fastest and convenient way of communication over long distances.
- Telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876.
- Mobile/Cell phones, Fixed line telephones, etc. are used for communication.
- Calling and Messaging can be done using mobile telephones.
Class 5 SST Chapter 10 Important Notes – Methods of calling:
- STD for national or local calls
- ISD for International calls
Class 5 SST Chapter 10 Question Answers