Class 5 SST Chapter 5 Question Answers from DRC – The Land of Dense Forest
Class 5 SST Chapter 5 Question Answers – Fill in the Blank.
- The capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo is Kinshasa.
- DRC is situated in the Tropical Zone, in the continent of Africa.
- The longest river of DRC is the Congo river.
- Most of DRC is covered with tropical rainforests.
- Vegetation consisting of grasslands with short trees is known as a Savanna.
Class 5 SST Chapter 5 Question Answers – True or False
- Most inhabitants of present-day DRC are pygmies. False
- Most people in DRC live in cities. False
- It rains almost every day in the tropical rain forests of DRC. True
- Savannas are grasslands. True
- DRC exports most of its minerals. True
- Pygmies settle down in villages and grow crops. False
Class 5 SST Chapter 5 Question Answers
- What was/is DRC known as:
(a) before 1971,
(b) between 1971 and 1997,
(c) at present?
Answer: (a) Before 1971 it was known as Belgian Congo.
(b) Between 1971 and 1997, it was known as Zaire.
(c) At present, it is known as the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
- What kind of climate does DRC have?
Answer: DRC has a hot and humid climate. It is one of the wettest places on Earth.
- Describe a tropical rainforest.
Answer: The tropical rainforest is a very dense forest. It is also called an evergreen forest as the trees are covered with leaves throughout the year. There is a large variety of trees found here. Tall trees make the canopy and smaller plants like creepers, climbers, and shrubs grow under these canopies.
- Why are most of the DRC covered with tropical rainforests?
Answer: The Equator passes through DRC and the climate in DRC is very hot and humid. It rains almost every day in DRC. River Congo also flows through DRC. So most of the DRC is covered with tropical rainforest.
- What is Savanna? Which parts of the DRC have this type of vegetation?
Answer: The grasslands with a few scattered trees are called Savanna.
Tall grasses are found in these grasslands. These grasslands are found in the south and southwest parts of the DRC.
- Name four animals found in plenty in the tropical rain forests and four found in the savannas.
Answer: Four animals from tropical rainforests are elephants, buffaloes, gorillas, baboons.
Four animals from the savannas are lions, zebras, leopards, giraffes.
- Which dangerous insect present in the forests of the DRC causes sleeping sickness?
Answer: tsetse is the insect that causes the dreaded sleeping sickness.
- Describe the way pygmies live.
Answer: Pygmies get their food by hunting and gathering from forests. They live in camps at a place for a few weeks and then move to other places. Their camps are made of leaves and branches. They don’t wear many clothes due to the hot and humid climate but they do wear colorful costumes on special occasions. They enjoy singing, dancing, and telling stories.
Class 5 SST Chapter 5 Question Answers – MCQs
- From 1971 to 1997, DRC was known as
(B) Belgian Congo
(C) Congo – Kinshasa
(D) Congo Free State
- In the part of DRC near the Equator, it rains
(A) during the rainy season – June to September
(B) during winter – October to February
(C) almost every day throughout the year
(D) does not rain at all as it is very hot
- Other than tropical rainforests, DRC also has
(C) snow-covered lands
(D) saltwater lakes
- Sleeping sickness is caused by
(B) tsetse fly
- The main source of income of DRC is
(B) export of minerals and agriculture produce
(C) export of goods produced in large factories
(D) export of meat products
Class 5 SST Chapter 5 Question Answers – Extra Questions
- Name any five neighboring countries of DRC.
Answer: Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Congo, South Sudan.
- When DRC got independence from Belgium?
Answer: DRC got independence from Belgium on 30 June 1960.
- What type of trees are found in the tropical rainforests?
Answer: The tropical rainforests are evergreen forests as the trees are covered with leaves throughout the year. There are a large variety of trees found in DRC. Trees are tall and form a canopy of leaves at the top. Creepers, Climbers, Shrubs grow under these tall trees.
- Describe the geography of DRC?
Answer: Most of the DRC is covered by the Congo river basin (plain). There are high mountains in the eastern edges of the DRC and plateaus in the south and southwest region.
- What are the modes of transport used in DRC?
Answer: Cities of DRC are connected with rail and roads. And people also use waterways in Congo and other rivers for transport.
- Describe the pygmies.
Answer: There are about 200 tribes in DRC. The pygmies are a well-known tribe. The pygmies are short in height and wear very few clothes due to the hot and humid climate in DRC.
- Which crops are grown in DRC?
Answer: Major food crops that are grown in DRC are cassava, maize, and rice.
Coffee, cocoa, rubber, and cotton are also grown as cash crops.
- What are the natural resources that are found in DRC?
Answer: There are vast deposits of copper, cobalt, gold, uranium, and diamonds in southern DRC.DRC has the largest deposit of cobalt in the world.
DRC is also very rich in forest resources and water resources.
- What is the canopy in the rainforests?
Answer: Continuous top covering of the trees in the rainforests is called the canopy.
- How do the people live in the cities of DRC?
Answer: Only 30% of the DRC people live in the cities. Rich people of the cities live in houses and apartments. They drive cars.
Poor people live in crowded and unhealthy slums.
- How many types of species of great apes live in DRC?
Answer: There are three species of great apes that live in DRC. Chimpanzee, Bonobo, and Gorilla. DRC is the only country where Bonobos are found.
- What is the other name used for Bonobo in DRC?
Answer: Pygmy or Dwarf Chimpanzee is the other name for bonobos.
Class 5 SST Chapter 5 Important Notes