Class 6 History Chapter 2 Question Answers from Hunting-gathering to growing food.
Class 6 History Chapter 2 Question Answers
- Complete the sentences:
(a) Hunter-gatherers chose to live in caves and rock shelters because they caves and rock shelters provided them protection from wild animals and harsh weather conditions.
(b) Grasslands developed around 12000 years ago.
- Why do people who grow crops have to stay in the same place for a long time?
People growing crops have to stay in the same place for a long time:
> for protection of crops from animals and birds.
> for watering and taking care of the crop plants.
- Why do archaeologists think that many people who lived in Mehrgarh were hunters to start with and that herding became more important later?
Answer: Because they found bones of wild animals at the lower levels and cattle bones at the upper levels. It suggests that people who lived in Mehrgarh were initially hunters and later they became herders.
- Why did the hunter-gatherers travel from place to place?
In what ways are these similar to/different from the reasons for which we travel today?
Hunters and gatherers were nomadic people and they travelled from place to place for various reasons.
(1) After eating up all the available plant and animal resources, they might have moved elsewhere in search of food.
(2) They followed and chased animals for hunting.
(3) People may have moved from season to season in search of different kinds of plants.
(4) They had to go in search of water during the dry seasons (winter and summer).
(5) They might have travelled to escape the natural calamities.
At present, people have settled lives but still people travel for their livelihoods, education, to meet their family and relatives. People also travel for exploring new places.
- List three ways in which hunter-gatherers used fire.
Would you use fire for any of these purposes today?
Answer: Hunters-gatherers used fire (1) as a source of light, (2) to roast meat, (3) to scare away animals, (4) to get the warmth in cold weather conditions, etc.
Today, we use fire for cooking, in camp-fire during the winters and sometimes as the source of light.
- List three ways in which the lives of farmers and herders would have been different from that of hunter-gatherers.
Farmers and herders lived settled life and they stayed at a place to take care of their crops and animals.
whereas hunters-gatherers lived nomadic life and they moved from place to place in search of food.
Farmers and herders made houses for themselves. Whereas hunters-gatherers lived in caves and rock shelters.
Farmers and herders stored their food (grains and animals). Whereas hunters-gatherers did not store food.
- List two tasks that are performed by both men and women at present. List another two that are performed only by women, and two that are performed only by men. Compare your list with that of any two of your classmates. Do you notice any similarities/differences in your lists?
Tasks performed by both men and women:
(1) Shop Keeping
(2) Running Restaurants
Tasks performed by only men:
(b) carrying loads
Tasks that require more physical strength are generally performed by men.
Tasks that performed by only women:
(b) Taking care of family
Tasks that require affection and care are generally performed by women.
- List the cereals that you eat. Do you grow the cereals you eat. If yes, draw a chart to show the stages in growing them. If not, draw a chart to show how these cereals reach you from the farmers who grow them.
Farmers grow these cereals.
Cereals reach to us through below process:
Production of cereals by farmers
Cereals are purchased by Wholesale traders
Cereals are purchased by retailers
Consumers purchase cereals from retailers.
#Class 6 History Chapter 2 Question Answers
Class 6 History Chapter 2 Extra Question Answers