Class 5 SST Half Yearly Solutions
1. Suez Canal gives India a short route to
(D) South America
2. Which of these is not used for mass communication?
3. The Grasslands of Downs are located in
(A) The Tropical Zone
(B) The North Temperate Zone
(C) The South Temperate Zone
(D) Frigid Zone
4. Which of the following passes through Saudi Arabia?
(A) The Equator
(B) The Tropic of Cancer
(C) The Tropic of Capricorn
(D) The Arctic Circle
5. Most of the population of Greenland lives in
(A) North region
(B) Eastern region
(C) South-western region
(D) North-western region
6. The climate of the Democratic Republic of Congo is
(A) hot and dry
(B) cold and dry
(C) hot and wet
(D) cold and wet
7. If we move away from the Equator, what will be the effect on climate?
(A) It will be hotter
(B) It will be colder
(C) It will remain same
(D) Climate has no relation with the distance from the Equator
8. When the Southern Pole is tilted away from the Sun,
(A) the Northern Hemisphere has summer
(B) the Northern Hemisphere has winter
(C) Both Hemisphere have summer
(D) Both Hemisphere have winter
9. If 2 cm represents 500 km on map, then the ratio scale will be
(A) 500 km : 2 cm
(B) 250 km : 1 cm
(C) 2 cm : 250 km
(D) 1 cm : 250 km
10. Which of the following lies in the Northern Hemisphere?
(A) The Tropic of Cancer
(B) The Equator
(C) The Antarctic Circle
(D) The Tropic of Capricorn
B. Fill in the Blanks.
1. Prime Meridian/Greenwich Meridian divides the earth into the Eastern Hemisphere and the Western Hemisphere.
2. If west is on your right side, then you are facing to the South direction.
3. Days are longer during summer season.
4. Humidity will be higher at the places which are nearer to the sea.
5. The tropical rainforests of DRC are also called Evergreen forests.
6. Southern part of the Greenland is located in the Temperate Zone zone.
7. Sand Dunes are small hills of sand that keep shifting with strong winds.
8. Prairies are located on the western side of the Prime Meridian.
9. Hard and smooth roads make transport faster and easier.
10. Fax Machine is used to send the copies of documents instantly.
C. True or False
1. India is located in the North-Eastern part of the Globe. True
2. Longitudes are parallel to each other. False
3. The days are longer than nights in the spring season. False
4. The climate near the Equator is very hot and dry. False
5. Pygmies live in cities with modern facilities. False
6. Bigger part of the icebergs remains under water. True
7. Thobe is the traditional dress of the women in Saudi Arabia. False
8. Big farms of wheat are called ranches in the Prairies. False
9. Vehicles run faster on paved roads. True
10. Social Networking is the most popular means of mass communication. False
D. Match the Columns.
1. Distance from the Equator
🡲 f. Latitude
2. Polar Region
🡲 g. Frigid Zone
3. Spinning motion of Earth
🡲 h. Rotation
4. Motion of the Earth in the orbit
🡲 i. Revolution
5. Very hot and wet climate
🡲 j. Torrid Zone
6. Very hot and dry climate
🡲 e. Climate of Saudi Arabia
7. Wheat, Barley
🡲 d. Agriculture in the Prairies
8. Cocoa, Rubber, Coffee
🡲 c. Agriculture in the DRC
9. Wheat, Barley, Date Palms
🡲 b. Agriculture in Saudi Arabia
🡲 a. Agriculture in Greenland
E. One-mark Questions.
1. What is the importance of printing in our lives?
Answer: Books, Magazines, News Papers, etc. are printed with the help of printing. Mass communication became possible due to printing.
2. Why do Indian people go to Saudi Arabia?
Answer: (1) For jobs; (2) Indian Muslims also go to Saudi Arabia for offering prayers to Allah. (Haz)
3. Why do trees grow taller in the rainforests?
4. How to control pollution that is caused by vehicles?
5. Why is the Internet called the Information Superhighway?
F. Two-marks Questions.
1. Why is the Prairies are called the Wheat Basket of the World?
2. How difficult is the life of people in Greenland?
3. What is the importance of Oases in deserts?
4. What is satellite communication?
5. How did Saudi Arabia become rich and prosperous despite being a desert area?
G. Three-marks Questions.
1. What are the benefits of Suez Canal for India?
2. How is the life of pygmies in DRC?
3. How did the lives of people change after having modern facilities in Greenland?
4. What is a ranch and why do people keep ranches in the Prairies?
5. What is traffic and how can we control it?