In this article, we will learn about various types of government. We have different types of classification of the government system depending upon the distribution of power, levels of powers, the election of the rulers, etc.
What is a Government?
A government is a system that governs any organization. This organization can be anything like a community, a state, or a country.
Governing means –
- Legislature – Making the laws and policies.
- Executive – Implementing the laws and policies.
- Judiciary – Protecting the laws and policies in the organization.
A government works for the welfare and development of the organization it is governing. Every governing system has a set of rules and guidelines called the Constitution.
Government of India
India is a “Sovereign, Socialist, Secular, Democratic Republic” with a parliamentary system of government. India is a union of states with the federal system.
- Possessing absolute power or supreme authority.
- A system where the economic activities are owned by the society instead of private owners.
- Not related to any specific religion.
- Citizens form the government by voting. Rule by the people.
- All the governing matters are public and the government is run by the public.
- The combined form of government where the central or “federal” government work with regional governments.
Union of States
- States have no freedom to move out of the union.
Various Forms of Government
Forms of Government based on the ruling authority:
- Ruled by no one – Anarchy
- Ruled by one person – Monarchy, Dictatorship, Autocracy.
- Ruled by one family – Aristocracy
- Ruled by a few people – Oligarchy, Junta.
- Ruled by all the people – Democracy, Republics.
Forms of Government based on the levels in the government system:
- Union or Unitary government – Union has the power and authority and it controls the states.
- The federal government – Delegation of the power and authority to the state levels.
- Confederacy – States have more power than the union.
Forms of Government based on the election of the ruling authorities:
- Autocratic Government – Single person has unlimited authority.
- Democratic Government – Government for the people, by the people, of the people.