NCERT Class 6 Civics Chapter 8 Question Answers cover the book exercise in a simplified and precise way. NCERT Class 6 Civics Chapter 8 Question Answers are easy to understand and learn for exams.
NCERT Class 6 Civics Chapter 8 Question Answers
1. You have probably noticed that people in Kalpattu are engaged in a variety of non-farm work. List five of these.
(1) Making baskets, utensils, pots, bricks bullock-carts, etc.
(3) Washing clothes
(5) Repairing cycle.
2. List the different types of people you read about in Kalpattu who depend on farming. Who is the poorest among them and why?
Answer: Thulasi, Sekar and Ramalingam.
Thulasi was the poorest because she has no land of her own. She works on Ramalingam’s field and earns Rs. 40 per day. Although she is not satisfied with her wages but she does not have any other option. So, she continues her work in Ramalingam’s field.
3. Imagine you are a member of a fishing family and you are discussing whether to take a loan from the bank for an engine.
What would you say?
Answer: I would say that we should take the loan from a bank only as it charges a lesser rate of interest. Banks also have proper rulers.
Other moneylenders may charge higher rate of interests and they take advantage.
4. Poor rural labourers like Thulasi often do not have access to good medical facilities, good schools, and other resources. You have read about inequality in the first unit of this text. The difference between her and Ramalingam is one of inequality. Do you think this is a fair situation? What do you think can be done? Discuss in class.
Answer: No, this is not a fair situation. There should be a control of the ownership of land. It will help everyone to have some land where one can earn one’s livelihood. Opportunity should be equal for all. People should be made aware of their rights as well.
5. What do you think the government can do to help farmers like Sekar when they get into debt? Discuss.
Government can help farmers like Sekar in getting a loan from banks.
>Loans should be easily available to farmers.
>Interest rates should also be less.
>Quality Seeds, fertilizers and pesticides should be provided to farmes at cheaper rates.
Compare the situation of Sekar and Ramalingam by filling out the following table:
|Cultivated land||2 acres||20 acres|
|Loans required||Yes||Generally No.|
|Selling of harvest||Sells to moneylender who provides the laon.||Free to sell anywhere.|
|Other work done by them||Rears a cow||Rice-mill, Shop selling seeds and presiticides.|