Class 5 SST Chapter 13 Question Answers
Class 5 SST Chapter 13 Question Answers – Fill in the blanks.
1. The first tools used by humans were made out of stones.
2. It was possible to make tools hard enough to cut trees after the metal iron was discovered.
3. One of the Important inventions that contributed to the industrial revolution was the steam engine.
4. In the first steam engines, Coal was burnt to produce steam.
5. Dams are constructed across rivers to produce hydroelectricity.
Class 5 SST Chapter 13 Question Answers – Match the Columns.
1. Copper >> B. The first metal to be discovered.
2. Bronze >> D. Mixture of Copper and Tin.
3. Factories >> E. Big Machines
4. Coal >> C. Steam Engine
5. Electricity >> A. Dam
C. Answer the following questions.
1. Which was the first metal to be discovered? How did the discovery benefit humans?
Answer: Copper was the first metal to be discovered.
It helped humans in making better tools.
2. Why is the discovery of iron considered to be very important in the history of humans?
Answer: Iron was harder and stronger. It was used to make better tools and weapons that helped in cutting trees, hunting animals, and also in agriculture.
3. What was the effect of the discovery of the steam engine on the industry at that time?
Answer: The steam engine made it possible to run big machines in the industries and helped in the production of goods in large quantities at cheaper rates.
4. What do you mean by the industrial revolution?
Answer: The change from hand made goods to machine-made goods in the factories is known as the industrial revolution. It happened about 300 years ago in Europe.
5. During the industrial revolution, cities became larger. Why did this happen?
Answer: Big factories were set up in the cities and people from villages also moved to the cities for the work in the factories. Hence the cities became larger because of the industrial revolution.
6. What are the problems in using fuels such as coal, petroleum as a source of energy? How can these problems be solved?
Answer: Coal and petroleum are limited in nature and also create pollution. We can use alternative sources of energy such as solar energy, wind energy, atomic energy, etc. to solve these problems.
7. What is hydroelectricity? What force is used to generate hydroelectricity?
Answer: Electric energy generated by the flowing water is known as hydroelectricity. Force of the flowing water is used to generate hydroelectricity.
D. Multiple choice questions.
1. The industrial revolution began after the discovery of the
B. Steam Engine
D. Diesel Engine
2. In which county did the industrial revolution begin?
3. Which of these are sources of energy used to run machines?
D. All of these
4. Which source of energy does not cause pollution?
5. Which metal is most commonly used to make tools?
E. Extra Questions.
1. What is a machine?
Answer: A machine is a tool that helps us in performing any work easily and makes our life easier.
2. How bronze is better than Copper?
Answer: Bronze is a mixture of copper and tin. It is harder than copper. Bronze tools are better than copper tools.
3. Who was Alessandro Volta?
Answer: Alessandro Volta was the first person to make a battery that could generate an electric current in the wire.
4. What is a generator?
Answer: A generator is a machine that produces electricity.
5. What is a conventional source of energy?
Answer: The sources of energy that have been commonly used for many years. Coal, Petroleum, natural gas, hydroelectricity, etc. are some examples.
6. What are the examples of alternative sources of energy?
Answer: Atomic energy, solar energy, wind energy, tidal energy, etc. are some examples of alternative sources of energy.
7. What is used to run a generator?
Answer: Coal, petrol, diesel, or natural gas is used to run the generators.
8. What is the factory system?
Answer: Set up of large machines to produce goods in large quantities is known as a factory. The Group of such factories was called the factory system.