Class 4 Social Studies Chapter 3 Question Answers cover book exercise questions in a simplified and precise way. Class 4 Social Studies Chapter 3 Question Answers are easy to understand and learn for exams.
#The Northern Mountains
Class 4 Social Studies Chapter 3 Question Answers
A. Fill in the blanks.
1. A long row of mountains is called a mountain range.
2. The highest mountain range in the Himalayas is the Himadri.
3. The area at the foothills of the Himalayas is called the Terai region.
4. Rivers in the Northern Mountains arise from moving sheets of ice called glaciers.
5. People of Kashmir carry a Kangri under their phiran to keep warm in winter.
B. Match the columns.
|1. Highest peak in India||b. Kanchenjunga|
|2. Lowest peak in the Himalayas||e. Shiwalik|
|3. Origin of river Ganga||d. Gangotri|
|4. Saffron||c. Kashmir|
|5. 8848||a. Mt Everest|
C. Answer the following questions.
1. Where do the Himalayas get their name from?
Answer: The HImalayas got its name from the Sanskrit word ‘himalaya’ which means ‘abode of snow’.
2. Name the ranges that make up the Himalayas. Which is the highest, and which is the lowest?
Answer: The Himalayas consists of three parallel ranges.
(1) The Himadri (the Greater Himalayas) – The highest range
(2) The Himachal (the Middle Himalayas)
(3) The SHiwalik (the Outer Himalayas) – The lowest range
3. How do rivers originate in the Himalayas?
Answer: Rivers originate from moving sheets of ice (glaciers). When these glaciers melt, they give rise to rivers.
4. What is being done to reduce the damage caused by deforestation in the Himalayas?
Answer: Government has made several protected forest areas such as the Corbett National Park and the Kaziranga National Park to stop deforestation. Plantation of trees is also being taken up.
5. How do the Himalayas affect the climate of the Northern Plains of India?
Answer: The Himalayas stop the monsoon winds from going further north and bring heavy rainfall to the Northern Plains of India.
6. What kind of climates does the Northern Mountain region have?
Answer: The Northern Mountain region has a cold climate. Most of the Northern Mountain region is covered with snow throughout the year.
7. How do the people of Kashmir keep themselves warm during winters?
Answer: People of Kashmir keep an earthern pot with burning coal, known as a kangri, beneath their kurtas.
8. Name two states in the Northern Mountain region where tea is a major crop.
Answer: West Bengal and Assam.
9. What are the ‘seven sisters’? Name them.
Answer: The seven states of the northeast India are called seven sisters.
Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Tripura, and Mizoram are the seven sisters.
D. Multiple choice questions.
1. The highest mountain peak in India is
(A) Mt Everest
(D) Mt Godwin Austin
2. The river Ganga originates from
(C) Mt Kailash
(D) Mt Everest
3. Which state gets the heaviest rainfall in the country?
(C) Arunachal Pradesh
4. Mussoorie is an important hill station in the state of
(C) Himachal Pradesh
5. Small boats that are used for boating and as floating shops in Kashmir are called