Class 4 Social Studies Chapter 5 Question Answers cover book exercise questions in a simplified and precise way. Class 4 Social Studies Chapter 5 Question Answers are easy to understand and learn for exams.
#The Great Indian Desert
Class 4 Social Studies Chapter 5 Question Answers
A. Fill in the blanks.
1. A flat area with sandy soil and very little rain and vegetation is called a desert.
2. Sand dunes are small hills of sand that keep shifting in the wind.
3. A green area with water in the middle of a desert is called an oasis.
4. People who do not settle down in one place and move their home from place to place are called Banjaras.
5. The most useful animal for the people of the Thar Desert is the camel.
6. The Teej Festival is held at Jaisalmer every year and is a great tourist attraction.
B. Write T for True and F for False sentences.
1. The Aravali Range of Hills is to the south of the Thar Desert. True
2. Sand heats up quickly in the day and cools quickly at night. True
3. Sand dunes shift because of soil erosion by water. False
4. In an oasis, underground water is brought out by digging wells. False
5. Camel milk is popular among the people of Rajasthan. False
6. The people of Rajasthan earn a lot of memory from tourism. True
C. Answer the following questions.
1. What is a desert?
Answer: A desert is a flat area with sandy soil and very little rain and vegetation.
2. Why are days hot and nights cool in the desert?
Answer: Because sand heats up quickly in the day, and cools down fast at night.
3. What is a sand dune? Why does it keep shifting?
Answer: Sand dune is a small hill of sand. It keeps shifting due to strong winds.
4. What is an oasis?
Answer: An oasis is an area with water and greenery in the desert.
5. What has been the effect of the Indira Gandhi Canal on the Thar Desert?
Answer: The Indira Gandhi Canal provides water to parts of the Thar Desert for domestic and agricultural purposes.
6. Why is the camel still a very important means of transport in the desert?
Answer: Camel can withstand the desert heat and walk easily on the sand. It can live without food and water for several days. It is used to carry loads, pull carts, and plough fields.
7. Describe the traditional clothes of the people of Rajasthan.
Answer: Ghaghra-choli with Odhni for women and Dhoti-Kurta and a colorful turban for men.
8. Name a few tourist attractions of Rajasthan.
Answer: Old forts, historical monuments, desert festivals, etc. are some of the tourist attractions of Rajasthan.
D. Multiple Choice Questions.
1. Which of these is to the south of the Thar Desert?
(A) Sutlej River Basin
(B) Aravali Hills
(C) Indus River Basin
(D) Rann of Kutch
2. Which of these best describes the climate in the Thar Desert?
(A) hot days and nights during summer and winter.
(B) hot days, cold nights during summer and winter.
(C) hot days, cool nights during summer; cool days and cold nights during winter.
(D) hot days and nights during summer, cold days and nights during winter.
3. Which of these crops cannot be normally grown in Rajasthan?
4. Which of these is called the ship of the desert?
5. Which of these best describes Banjaras?
(A) They live in small villages around an oasis.
(B) They do not settle down at one place.
(C)They live in large cities and raise cattle.
(D) They live in fertile areas and grow crops.