Class 5 SST Chapter 1 Extra QuestionsClass 5 Social Studies Chapter 1 Extra Questionsearn the maximum from the chapter and perform great in the exams.
Class 5 Social Studies Chapter 1 Extra Questions
What is the actual shape of the Earth?
The Earth is flat at the poles and bulges at the Equator.
What are the two important tools used for the study of the Earth?
(1) Maps and (2) Globes.
What is the value of the Earth’s tilt at its axis?
Which is the largest globe in the world?
Answer: The largest globe in the world in Eartha. It is located in Yarmouth, USA.
What are the features of latitudes?
1. Latitudes are parallel to each other and run from east to west direction.
2. Latitudes have equal distances between them everywhere.
3. All the latitudes are complete circles, except the North and South Pole, which are points.
4. The length of the latitudes decreases from the Equator to the poles.
What are the features of longitude?
1. The longitudes are the semi-circles that run between the poles from north to south.
2. Longitudes have the largest space between them at the Equator and merge at the poles.
What do you understand by the Global Grid?
Answer: The network of the latitudes and longitudes is called the grid on the globe. This grid is used to locate any place on the globe/Earth.
What are the important latitudes?
1. North Pole (90° N)
2. Arctic Circle (66.5° N)
3. Tropic of Cancer (23.5° N)
4. Equator (0°)
5. Tropic of Capricorn (23.5° S)
6. Antarctic Circle (66.5° S)
7. South Pole (90° S)
What is an international date line?
Answer: The 180° East and the 180° West longitudes meet and form a single line on the opposite side of the world. This line is called the 180° longitude or the international dateline.
What is the other name for the latitudes?
What is the angle between the latitudes and longitudes?
Answer: The latitudes and longitudes cut each other at the right angles (90°).
What is a hemisphere? Which lines divide the Earth into hemispheres?
Answer: When the Earth is divided into two equal parts, one of the half parts is called the hemisphere.
The Equator divides the Earth into the Northern and the Southern Hemispheres.
The Prime Meridian divides the Earth into the Eastern and the Western Hemispheres.
What are the differences between latitudes and longitudes?
Answer: Latitudes are full circles or horizontal lines running from west to east.
Longitudes are semi-circles or vertical lines running from north to south.
What is a global grid and what is its use?
Answer: The Network of latitudes and longitudes is called the global grid. It is used to locate any place on Earth.