NCERT Class 6 History Chapter 5 Extra Questions covers all the important topics. NCERT Class 6 History Chapter 5 Extra Questions are simplified, precise, and easy to understand.
NCERT Class 6 History Chapter 5 Extra Questions
1. Name the Varnas as classified by the Brahmanas?
Answer: Brahmanas, Kshatriyas, Vaishyas, Shudras.
2. Why did the rulers attack other kingdoms?
(1) To expand their kingdom.
(2) To show their military power.
(3) To capture the wealth of other kingdoms.
3. Why did Magadha become the most powerful kingdom?
(1) Magadha controlled a fertile land between the rivers Ganga and Son.
(2) Rivers were also used for transport and water supply.
(3) Magadha had access to forests which provided them woods and other forests resources.
(4) Iron mines provided Iron which was used for making tools and weapons.
(5) Elephants were captured from the forests and trained for military purposes.
(6) Powerful and capable rulers made the Magadha a powerful kingdom.
4. What was the difference between Magadha and Vajji?
|Magadha was a monarch||Vajji was a republic.|
|Magadha was more powerful and all the decisions taken by a single ruler.||Vajji was not powerful but they acted together and took the decision together after the debates and discussions.|
|Women were not given so much of freedom.||Women had more freedom in Vajji.|
|Magadha was a larger kingdom.||Vajji was a small kingdom.|
5. What were the two major changes that happened in agriculture about 2500 years ago?
Answer: These changes increased the agricultural production.
(1) Transplation of Paddy
(2) Use of Iron ploughshare
6. Why did the rulers perform the Ashvamedha Sacrifice about 2500 years ago?
Answer: Rulers performed Ashvamedha sacrifice to declare themselves as a powerful king. Any ruler completing the sacrifice was considered as powerful king. This was a unique way showing off the power and dominating other kingdoms.
7. Why did some people oppose the Varna System?
Answer: Many people opposed the Varna system for various reasons.
(1) Kshatriyas opposed the Varna system because they felt that were superior to the priests.
(2) Some people felt that birth should not be the basis for deciding the varna of a person.
(3) Some people also believed that there should not be any difference among the people based on occupations.
(4) Some people rejected the practice of untouchability.
(5) Some felt that everybody should be allowed to perform sacrifices.
8. What were the types of taxes collected by the rulers in Mahajanapadas?
(1) Farmers paid one-sixth of their crops production.
(2) Traders and merchants paid the tax in cash (coins or gold).
(3) Crafts persons and labourers paid the tax by working for a fixed number of days for the king.
(4) Herders paid the tax in the form of animals and animal produces.
(5) Hunters and gatherers paid the tax in the form of forest produces.
9. Why was Vajji able to survive for a long period of time despite not being so powerful?
Answer: Vajji were an example of a republic state.
(1) There were many rulers who ruled and acted together.
(2) Decisions were taken after debates and discussions in assemblies.
(3) Followed rules properly.
(4) Respected, supported and listened to elders.
(5) Women were not held forcefully.
(6) Wise saints from different religions were respected and allowed to enter or leave the kingdom freely.
10. Why did the rulers fortify their capital cities?
Answer: Rulers fortified their capital cities –
(1) To protect themselves from enemy attacks.
(2) To show off their wealth and power.
(3) To have a better control on the city and its people.