NCERT Class 7 Civics Chapter 6 Question Answers from Understanding Media. NCERT Class 7 Civics Chapter 6 Question Answers are simplified, precise, and easy to learn.
NCERT Class 7 Civics Chapter 6 Question Answers
1. In what ways does the media play an important role in a democracy?
Answer: Media plays an important role in a democracy. It provides information on the events happening in the country. It provides insight into the working of the government.
> The media also criticizes the unpopular decisions of the government.
> It helps the public in forming their opinions.
> It acknowledges us with several current issues.
> It provides awareness among the people.
2. Can you give this diagram a title? What do you understand about the link between media and big business from this diagram?
Title to the given diagram: “Business Houses and Media” or “Money and Media“
Big Business Houses promote their products among the public through media. Through the media, they can reach the masses very easily.
3. You have read about the ways in which the media ‘sets the agenda’. What kind of effect does this have in a democracy? Provide two examples to support your point of view.
Answer: Media provides information on various events, issues, and the working of the government. It forms the opinion among the people on any topic. It gives the topics of discussion to the people. Hence, we say that media sets the agenda.
(1) Media shares information on current events like Farmer’s protest (2021). People understand the issue and can form their opinion in favor or against the issue.
(2) Sometimes, media highlights useless topics and concentrates on cheap agendas like fashion shows, Hollywood actors’ lifestyles, etc.
4. As a class project, decide to focus on a particular news topic and cut out stories from different newspapers on this. Also, watch the coverage of this topic on TV news, compare two newspapers and write down the similarity—and differences in their reports. It might help to ask the following questions:
(a) What information is this article providing?
(b) What information is it leaving out?
(c) From whose point of view is the article being written?
(d) Whose point of view is being left out and why?
(Students are supposed to do this project themselves)