In this post, you will learn about the definition of government, levels of the government, various parts of government, details about the local government, municipal councils, gram panchayat, and Panchayati Raj System.
What is Government?
There are three parts of government.
- Legislative – Making of laws, policies, or plans.
- Executive – Implementing the laws, policies, or plans.
- Judicial – Protects the laws and dispenses justice.
What are the levels of Government?
- Central or Union Government
- State Government
- Local Government
- Legislative – Parliament (Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, and President)
- Executive – Cabinet or Council of Ministers (headed by the Prime Minister)
- Judicial – Supreme Court
- Legislative – State Legislative Assembly and Members of Legislative Assembly (MLA)
- Executive – Council of Ministers (Headed by Chief Minister)
- Judicial – State High Courts
Why do we have three levels of Government in India?
|Levels of Government in India|
What are the forms of Local Government?
- Rural Administration (Panchayati Raj System)
- Urban Administration (Municipal Governance)
What are the levels of Rural Administration?
- Gram Panchayat
- Block Panchayat (Panchayat Samiti)
- Zilla Panchayat (Zilla Parishad)
What are the types of Urban Administration?
- Nagar Panchayats (for smaller towns)
- Municipal Councils (for small towns)
- Municipalities (for cities – generally population between 1 – 10 lakhs)
- Municipal Corporations (for big cities – population of more than 1 million)