Gujarat is derived from Gurjaratra – The land of Gurjaras who ruled in this region around the 8th and 9th century AD. Gujarat has a population of about 60 million. Gujarat is one of the most industrialized states of India.
After the independence, Gujarat was part of the state of Bombay. Gujarat was formed as a separate state of India on 1 May 1960.
Location of Gujarat
Gujarat is the fifth-largest state of India. It is located on the western side and it has the longest coastline in India. The Tropic of Cancer passes through Gujarat.
- Rajasthan on the north-eastern side.
- Madhya Pradesh on the eastern side.
- Maharashtra on the south-eastern side.
- Union Territories of Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu are located in the south of Gujarat.
- The Arabian Sea is located on the western side of Gujarat.
- Gujarat also shares international borders with Pakistan on the north-western side.